The deadline for registration is May 8, 2017.
If you didn’t validate a dog project, there are still a couple of ways you can participate in the 2017 Texas 4-H Dog Show. The Photography Contest and the Foster/Family Dog Program. There is also an avenue for dog project leaders to register to help. To register you will go through 4-H CONNECT, go to the Register a Member box at the bottom of your 4-H CONNECT profile. Once you select a member, look for 2017 Auxiliary Texas 4-H Dog Show in the event box.
The 2017 Auxiliary Entries for Texas Dog Show registration is now open on 4-H CONNECT. The Texas 4-H Dog Show will be held at the Bell County Expo in Belton, Texas on July 7-9, 2017. The deadline for registration is May 8, 2017. From May 9th-15th , late registration will be open for a $50 late fee. DO NOT wait until 4:55 on the last day to enter. It will be difficult for your County Extension Office to help you if you run into problems. Registration will be a little different this year.
Photography Contest will show up with each of the categories you can enter. Mark each one you will be submitting an entry for. Then each photo will be uploaded in 4-H Connect.
1. Formatting your Photograph: Each photograph must be formatted in a jpg file to where it can be printed at 300 dots per inch (dpi) at a 3 inch X 5 inch size. File must not be over 1.5 MB in size to upload.
2. Labeling/Naming your Photograph: Each photograph will need to be clearly labeled with the 4-H member’s last name, first initial, and name of the category (see below for label name). For example: A 4-H member entering the Dog – Still Life category would label their photography as: Dog.Still Life_qtee.s (Dog.Still Life is the category file label name and qtee.s is the 4-H member’s last name and first initial).
Foster/ Family Dog Program – You will enter the name, breed(s) and birthdate of the dog you are entering and then select the event for that dog. Once you select the event, you will be given the option to select the specific class as you scroll down the page. At the bottom of the page are three buttons. If you have another dog to enter, click “Save and Add New Entry”. With the new entry page pulled up, select the next dog and repeat the entry process. At the end of the last dog, you will click “Continue”. This will take you to a payout page with a list of the dogs you have entered and the total for each one. At the end of the list, in blue, you will see “Edit Payment Information”. Please double check the payment information you have. The most common problem is credit cards that have expired. DO NOT click 4-H/County Check unless you have specific information from your County Extension Office to do so.
Once you hit submit, it will first go to the county level, where your County Extension Agent or support staff will approve them. If you have made a mistake or need to make a change, contact them to kick it back for you to correct. The charge will not go through until the entry is approved at the State level.
The rules are available at http://texas4-h.tamu.edu/dogshow
Since the Foster/Family Dog Competition is relatively new, the rules are included in this e-mail. In addition to fostering a dog, if you have recently adopted a dog or discovered 4-H this is an opportunity to get some show experience.
New: Foster/Family Dog Competition Rules
Dogs with home environment experience that are well mannered are more adoptable. Some families may not be able to make a long term commitment to dog ownership. In an effort to promote and encourage 4-H members to participate in this service learning project, the Foster/Family Dog program was developed. Patterned after other states programs, it offers the opportunity to showcase some of the community service projects 4-H members have been doing allowing more members to participate.
1. Subject to the Texas 4-H Dog Show Rules EXCEPT ownership/certification guidelines.
2. Handler and dog team is only eligible for the Foster/Family Dog program for one year. A dog that has been previously certified is not eligible for the Foster/Family Dog program.
3. Classes open to Foster/Family Dog include score sheet classes Costume, Tricks, Obedience, Rally and Canine Good Citizenship.
4. Foster/Family dogs will be awarded on the Danish System of Blue, Red and White ribbons.
5. An exhibitor that has previously shown at the Texas 4-H Dog Show may participate in the Foster/Family Dog Competition with a foster dog. However, they must show in Obedience and Rally classes befitting the dog/ handler team’s experience. No lower than Obedience Pre-Novice B or Rally Novice B.
For details of Costume, Tricks, Obedience and Rally, refer to those events in the rule book at https://texas4-h.tamu.edu/projects/dog-care-training/